Custom Music, Sound Design & Audio Editing
Electronics and music have always been major interests. In my high school days in the mid '70s I would scan the 'FM dial' and hear the ethnic music. Later during college, I started listening to African music via shortwave radio. At the same time I had a continuing interest in electronic music. A local music store had a ARP 2600 in their teaching studio. I would visit often after high school to use their synth. However my folks bought me a Moog system 15 during my senior year in high school.
From 1976 - 1980 I attended Berklee College of Music, graduating with a diploma in performance, (with piano as my principle instrument). During the first year I would frequent the electronic music lab and used their ARPs and Revox 2 track machines. At that time there was no such things as electronic music major and since The Boston School for Electronic Music was not accredited, I ended up at Berklee.
After college, I played 'multi-keys' in several bands and did session work as a synth programmer. I grew tired of playing 'top 40' and my interest shifted to the kora around '84. During this time I could be found playing my kora in Harvard Square and around Boston and eventually New York City. My days as a 'street performer' subsided with the beginning of the Dot Com 'gold rush', late 1995. Here are some Mp3s from my musical past. Please enjoy them and share your comments with me. (Be sure to visit my current Band page to see what I am up to these days.)
- 'LoveUrYoga' - Cosmic Meditation (excerpt)
- 'LoveUrYoga' - Ocean Journey (excerpt)
- 'LoveUrYoga' - Mountain Hike (excerpt)
- Euro Mode (revised mix)
- Ethereal 15sec logo
- African Kalimba Theme
- African Kalimba Theme w/ flute & synths
- Quite Mood
- Reflective Theme slow and evocative 'Moog' electronica
- Baltimore Boogie electronica jazz
- Brazil Street Vibe acid jazz style
- Euro Mode
- Orchestral Race 30sec
- Orchestral Race 59sec
- Modern News Intro 30sec
- Electro Active alternitive mix
- Electro Active Uptempo Hi-Tech Activity theme
- Electro Active Industrial Activity theme
- Kyoto Boogie remix based off the Sunday Series Track
- Yarabi, multi track performance. remastered (2010) recorded in Boston (1985) (track from Ancestral Voices)
- FilmCue UpTempo (ruff remix - 5/14/2010)
- Metal Theme / Alt Mix (3/16/2010)
- Duga kora solo (3/8/2010)
- Metal Theme, 60 sec version (3/4/2010)
- Film Cue, 120 sec version mix-in-progress (3/2/2010)
- Bantang Ba Kouyate rare out take, recorded at RPM NYC 1990
- Hi-Tech theme (alt. version) 60sec
- Fast Paced, Hi-Tech 60sec
- TV Logo 1 15sec
- Car Commercial w/ "drive-by" 30sec
- Car Commercial 30sec
- Soliloquy futuristic cue 30sec excerpt
- Space Cue 30sec remix -- theme composed 10-20-92
- Tabara (9/2/09), solo kora recorded w/Sony D50 and an AT822 mike
- Kids Song Remix (9/18/09), based off a piano and melody MIDI track, composed in 1992
- News Theme here is a recent (9/17/09) ruff remix of a track I composed in 1994
- Kora Rock w/ kora, mixed 9/6/09 created in Logic 8
- Imaginary Film Cue w/ kora, recorded 8/30/09 with the Sony D50, backing tracks created in Logic 8. (not a final mix)
- Imaginary Film Cue w/ kora & tribal drums in Logic 8. (alternate mix)
- Karia "coastal style" kora solo, recorded 8/13/09 with the Sony D50, sweetened w/ Logic's Space Designer & Tape Echo plugin.
- Juka kora solo recorded 8/12/09 with the Sony D50, Logic's Space Designer verb was used for the mix. Here is the dry recording.
- Salimou kora solo recorded 8/12/09 with the Sony D50, Logic's Space Designer and Delay Designer was used for the mix.
- Chase This (Logic remix) This 30sec music cue was composed by guitarist Brady Mosher, using Acid Pro and Vegas Video. Here is the original track for comparison.
- American Express demo 30 sec. TV commercial, produced by Eric Kaye Music NYC. Track features kora and percussion, recorded 11/2002.
These two demo tracks were created with Tom Spicer on 'kalimbass.'
These two tracks are here for evaluation only, please email me to license this music.
Hear some short samples of TimeFactor pedal doing some cool DSP. Please note that the Kora w/ Loop Freeze improv, was run thru Logic for some extra reverb and a touch of chorus near the end, and 'Infinite Loop + Choir' has Space Designer 'verb added as well, enjoy.
Moog Music's MuRF Demos
Here are some short examples of kora w/ the Moog MuRf filter pedal.
Released originally in spring of '90, Ancestral Voices has just been reissued. Featured on nationally syndicated radio shows including Hearts of Space, Musical Starstreams, Echoes, Totally Wired, and New Sounds (WNYC-FM) and others.
• Island Journey
David Gilden: kora & PPG Wave 2.2, Jimmy Earl: fretless bass.
• Dragonfly Dream
Dave Gilden: keyboards, Steve Gorn: bansuri bamboo flute, Ray Spiegel: tabla drums, and Jimmy Earl: fretless bass.
• Ancestral Voices
Gilden: mbira dza vadizmu (Zimbabwen thumb piano), PPG Wave 2.2, Oberheim, and Kurzweil synthesizers.
(track from Ancestral Voices
Check out the music video Island Journey (track one on Ancestral Voices), created by Abby Digital, using the Fairlight CVI. 'Island Journey' aired on VH1 for a short period of time in the late '80s!.
These tracks are from my 1986 Distant Strings release:
David Gilden appears on Gabrielle Roth & the mirrors recordings: Ritual (kora overdub on Cloud Mountain) and Waves (PPG overdub on Spirit).
The following tracks were recorded at my home studio direct to DAT around 90 - 94 if my memory is correct! The majority of these track are all original compositions except where noted. An Atari Mega ST running "Dr. T" MIDI music software was used originally to create the MIDI files. The home studio has grown over time; the latest addition is Emagic's Logic Audio 6 Platinum running on a G4 (Quick Silver -- dual 1GHz). The current studio arsenal includes:
- Speck XtraMix console
- Lexicon LXP series reverbs
- Kurzweil 1000 series modules & K1000 keyboard
- PPG 2.2 (with MIDI)
- Emu Procussion
- Kawai XD-5 (sample playback -- drums)
- Casio VZ1
- Simmons SDE module
- Roland D550
- Roland Dance and Drum & Bass modules
- Korg Wave Station A/D
- Oberheim Xpander
- more stuff, ask!
Audition the tracks:
The following tracks were recorded during late eighties at the University of Massachusetts, Boston campus. In 1990 these along with other tracks were released on the "Zeds Music Production Music Library." With exception Scarlatti, I improvised and or sequenced these tracks to tape. On the 'Lets Go remix' I added a few passes of Memory Moog being modulated via the Minidoc. Here is a partial run down of what we had in the studio back in those days:
- vintage API console
- MCI 24 track two inch tape
- Linn Drum
- Memory Moog
- Roland TR303 Bass Line
- Garfield Electronics Mini Doc
- Moog modular system (3 tiers)
- Lexicon Reverb 224 w/ Larc
- Roland 12 bit sampler with mini floppies!
- PPG 2.2
- Oberheim Xpander
- Crumar String Machine
Audition the tracks:
- Activity Theme [Mp3 @ 560k, 36 sec.]
- Baroque Theme [Mp3 @ 548k, 35 sec.]
- Scarlatti Sonata [Mp3 @ 840k, 54 sec.]
- Fife & Drum [Mp3 @ 356k, 23sec.]
- Hi tech One [Mp3 @ 680k, 44 sec.]
- Hi-Tech Rocker One [Mp3 @ 988k, 63 sec.]
- Hi-Tech Rocker Two [Mp3 @ 660k, 42 sec.]
- Hi-Tech three [Mp3 @ 880, 57 sec.]
- Hi-Tech two [Mp3 @ 432k, 28 sec.]
- K1000 Theme One [Mp3 @ 748, 48 sec.]
- K1000 Theme Two [Mp3 @ 872k, 56 sec.]
- Kora & Moog [Mp3 @ 936k, 60 sec.]
- Lets Go Remix [Mp3 @ 832k, 53 sec.]
- Olympic Runner [Mp3 @ 988k, 64 sec.]
- Sports Theme [Mp3 @528k, 34 sec.]
- Toy Piano Theme [Mp3 @ 868k, 56 sec.]
- Water Music [Mp3 @ 820k, 53 sec.]
- W. Boyce symphony [Mp3 @ 540k, 35 sec.]
All sound files copyright © all rights reserved